Friday, February 6, 2009

The Great Debate Text

Ok fine. Flickr or whoever is against me wins. I'm reposting the text for the Great Debate post below, because it simply refuses to appear. One of these days I'll figure it out. Enjoy.

So I've always used a combination of Picasa and Shutterfly for all my photo sharing, storing, and ordering needs. I can't say I have any complaints, but with the new camera, I'm looking for something a little more...let's be honest, I'm looking for more public exposure. I'm not saying I'm a professor photographer or anything like that. I'm not. I'm a history graduate student who takes pictures here and there and every once in awhile one turns out decent enough. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind making them available for others to see in the rare event they might want to look at them!

Enter the debate. Do I expand my use of picasa to make more public and well organized folders? Or do I open a flickr account, requiring me to obtain yet another email address, log in screen and uploading process.....I'm very wedded to picasa for my desktop software, but the coolness factor of flickr and more importantly the ability to see if anyone actually does look at my photos is appealing. After what can only be described as an absurd amount of time spent reading about the two, I've decided to just suck it up and try Flickr out while also expanding my picasa use. Hopefully, I'll make a firm decision and then be able to focus, but in the meantime, I'll be embracing them both. So here we are. Testing out the blogging capabilities of flickr.

This is a old but favorite photo. It is from the Canadian Rockies. One of my absolute favorite places in the world. I've only been there once for a scant couple of weeks in the summer of 2006, but it was amazing. If I could pick one place to build a little cabin and live for a few months writing my dissertation without the distractions of other people and daily life, it would be at this very lake....I'm sure I'll post more pictures from trip later, but for now this is it (and maybe I'll figure out how to blog more than one photo at a time with this thing!)

No comments: